Steamed Mussels in a White Wine Broth
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
Servings: 2 (generous)
2 pounds mussels, cleaned
1 tablespoon butter
2 small shallots, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 cup low-sodium chicken stock
½ cup dry white wine
splash heavy cream
¼ cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
salt and fresh ground black pepper
lemon wedges for serving
1 baguette, warm for serving
- Melt butter in a large pot with lid over medium heat. When the butter begins to bubble, stir in the shallot and garlic. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock, white wine, and mussels then give them a good toss. Cover the pot with its lid and cook until all mussels have opened, 6 to 10 minutes. If any mussels do not open, discard them.
- Remove the pot from the heat then stir in the cream and parsley. Taste the broth adjust to taste with salt, pepper, or more cream.
- Serve in big bowls with lemon wedges and plenty of warmed bread to sop up the broth.
Open-Face Eggplant Parmesan Sandwiches
Prep time: 15 minutes
Total time: 55 minutes
Serving size: 2
½ teaspoon olive oil
2 egg whites, divided, lightly beaten
½ cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese, divided
¼ teaspoon ground pepper, divided
¼ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
4 (½ inch thick) slices peeled eggplant
8 ounces 95% lean ground beef
⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
½ cup marinara sauce, heated
1 ounce shredded part skim mozzarella cheese (¼ cup)
1 cup arugula
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Lightly brush a baking sheet with olive oil. Place 1 beaten egg white in a shallow dish. Combine 5 tablespoons panko, 1 tablespoon parmesan, ⅛ teaspoon pepper, and the parsley flakes in another shallow dish. Dip each eggplant slice in the egg white, then dip in the panko mixture to coat. Place the eggplant slices on the prepared baking sheet and lightly coat with cooking spray. Bake for about 30 minutes or until crisp and golden, turning once.
- Meanwhile, combine ground beef with the remaining 3 tablespoons panko, the remaining 1 tablespoon parmesan, the remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper, the garlic powder, and the remaining beaten egg white in a large bowl. Evenly divide the mixture into four ½-inches thick patties.
- For a charcoal or gas grill, place the patties on the grill rack directly over medium heat. Cover and grill for 8 to 10 minutes or until the patties are done (160 F), turning once.
- To serve, top each eggplant slice with a beef patty and some of the marinara sauce. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and top with arugula.
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
(For when you just need one cookie.)
Prep Time: 4 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp brown sugar, lightly packed
¼ tsp baking powder
3 tbsp low fat milk
⅛ tsp vanilla
½ tbsp vegetable oil
2 tbsp semisweet chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips into a microwave safe mug. This is a small cake so you can use an 8oz mug and it should just reach the top when finished cooking. You can also use an oversized mug, but the cake will be lower in the mug. Mix with a small, sturdy which until a smooth batter forms and no lumps remain.
- Stir in half of the chocolate chips. Sprinkle remaining half over surface. Cook in microwave for about 1 minute. Let cool a few minutes before eating.
Found on kirbiescravings.com.
Zucchini Pizza Bites
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
2 large zucchini
½ cup low carb pizza or tomato sauce
1 teaspoon oregano
2 cups mozzarella cheese
¼ cup parmesan cheese
pizza toppings as desired
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Line a baking pan with foil and set aside.
- Slice zucchini ¼” thick and arrange on prepared baking sheet.
- Top zucchini slices with pizza sauce, oregano, cheese and your favorite pizza toppings.
- Bake 10 minutes, until zucchini is tender and cheese is melted.
Found at easylowcarb.com.
Mexican Quinoa Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Calories: 268 calories
2 large sweet potatoes
1 tablespoon olive oil
¼ cup chopped red onion
¼ cup chopped bell pepper
½ cup frozen corn
½ cup cooked quinoa
1 cup canned black beans drained & rinsed
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
½ teaspoon smoked paprika
sea salt to taste
1 avocado mashed
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Place sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and prick with a fork. Place in the oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and pepper and saute until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add corn, quinoa, black beans and spices and cook 2-3 more minutes.
- When sweet potatoes are fork tender, remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice in half and place each half on a plate. Top with quinoa mixture, avocado and a drizzle of both tahini and hot sauce. Finish with a sprinkle of cilantro and enjoy!
Recipe from simplyquinoa.com.